Ear was also made headquarters of Kosi division on 2 October 1972, comprising Saharsa, Purnia and Katihar district, with its healier, the Saharsa district was part of the Munger and Bhagalpur districts. On 1 April 1954 it was made a district of its own. Itdquarters at Saharsa. Similarly a new Civil Sub-Division Birpur was created on 1 December 1972, consisting of 24 development blocks, including Raghopur, Chhatapur, Basantpur and Nirmali, which were previously under Supaul subdivision of the district. Two new districts, Madhepura and Supaul, were formed from Saharsa district on 30 April 1981 and 1991. Saharsa district now consists of two subdivisions, Saharsa Sadar and Simri Bakhtiarpur. The district consists of 10 development blocks and anchals each.
A large part of the district in the past was subjected to annual floods and inundation by a host of rivers originating from the Himalayas. The sub terai was noted for rice cultivation before it was subjected to the vagaries of the unpredictable Koshi river.
Saharsa was part of Mithila and the history can be traced back to Raja Janak (in mythical accounts, the father of Sita, who later became wife of Lord Rama). Tantric scholars and devotees attach significance to the Chandi temple, which is said to form an equilateral triangle with the Katyayani temple near Dhamara Ghat and the Tara temple at Mahishi. During the Navaratri people from distant places visit the village to offer prayers to the goddess of power. The famous conversation between Mandan Mishra and Shankracharya took place in Mahishi in Saharsa.